Today I got into a conversation with an acquaintance about relationships. She is widowed and we all know my situation. We talked for a little bit about what it is like to be single in the middle of life. We wre discussing triggers, deal breakers, red flags, expectations and behaviors.
We talked about some of our recent experiences with the opposite sex. Things that had made us smile, things that had us shaking our heads, and things that had hurt our feelings. I know that I am not perfect… and it gets brought to my attention occassionally…. by people that when all is said and done, don’t really know me all that well.
It made me consider what it is that is important in a relationship and what I think is important. I haven’t ever had a good, lasting relationship… but I have seen them, studied them and admired them. What makes it worth the jump from single to double….
- When you find that person that significantly improves your life, in all aspects.
- When you find that person that brings out the best in you and makes you want to be a better person.
- When you find someone who genuninely accepts you, builds you and encourages you.
- When you realize that you are with someone who is perfectly imperfect, but is consistently trying to better themselves.
- When you find the situation where BOTH people feel tha tthey are getting the better end of the deal.
No person is perfect. No person is going to be everything all of the time. However, finding someone who you have those things above, I think that that is where happiness lies.