There has been quite a bit of controversy over the website Facebook. Most of you who read this are on Facebook (still waiting for you to catch up with the times Leigh.) I won’t go into the inner working details of the website.
There have been all sorts of media reviews from a place to find old friends, to a complete waste of time. There have been criticisms of adding people that are only acquaintances in real life and not friends.
I just thought that I would chime and give the world my two cents worth. Now, while I think that everyone should be extremely cautious of the sites they visit and things that they post, I can emphatically say that I love it. I will admit that I may spend a little too much time on the site however, it has completely enhanced my life.
Through this site I have been able to find:
* Long lost friends from high school: We have even gotten together for lunch, ice cream, shopping trips. Others have just been fun to catch up with over our blog accounts. I love hearing from them leave their comments.
* Long lost friends from college: It was 14 years overdue, but lunch was fabulous and I love that our conversations and chats never seemed to have skipped a beat.
* People that I knew of in high school but rarely if ever spoke to: These people have been such a beacon of faith and determination in my life and I know that there was a bit of divine intervention in our meetings.
* Mission Friends: Instead of the occassional reunion, I have loved getting together for dinners, chats, photo and sharing swapping. It makes me miss the mission a little bit.
* Family ties: I have family that lives all over the country. Although we are not the “call each other on the phone” type people, I love that we are able to keep up with each other a bit.
* Reconciliations: There have been a few people that over my life with whom I have wanted to reconcile differences. Most often in life we don’t have the opportunity to do this. However, through this site, I have been able to find these people and get that peace in my life.
* Total strangers: Yes, I do have 2 people on my Facebook account that I have never met (and aren’t relatives of Harvey’s living elsewhere in the world.) These two people are highly active in two of the groups that I support whole heartedly and have answered every single one of my questions and offered more support than I could have asked for.
Now, I don’t think the site is perfect and I do think that everyone should use caution when using any social interaction site. However, for me, this site has blessed my life in ways that I will never be able to express.